|1. Studio photo of Wittmann taken shortly after he
was awarded the |
Oakleaf Cluster to his khight’s Cross on January 30, 1944. He was also
promoted to the rank of SS-Obersturmführer the same day.
|2. Wittmann on his Tiger in May 1944.|
|3. Wittmann smoking with his men. Left to right: Hans
Georg Lötzsch, Michael Wittmann, Karlheinz Warmbrunn
and Body Woll. The action took place in May 1944.
|4. Wittmann just after receiving the Swords to his Knight’s |
Cross and promotion to SS-Hauptsturmführer on June 22, 1944.
|5. Wittmann was flown to Berchtesgaden on June 25,
to be officially presented the Crossed Swords to the Knight’s Cross
by Adolf Hitler.
|6. Grave of Michael Wittmann and his crew |
in La Cambe Cemetery, France.
1. Bundesarchiv, Bild 146-2004-0131/CC BY-SA 3.0 de, via Wikimedia Commons
2. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-299-1802-08/Scheck/CC BY-SA 3.0 de, via Wikimedia Commons
3. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-299-1802-05/Scheck/CC BY-SA 3.0 de, via Wikimedia Commons
4. Bundesarchiv, Bild 146-1983-108-29/Woscidlo, Wilfried/CC BY-SA 3.0 de, via Wikimedia Commons
5. Bundesarchiv, Bild 146-1987-074-33/CC BY-SA 3.0 de, via Wikimedia Commons6. Matthijs, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons