This post presents photographs of tanks and other vehicles that were knocked out during the battle of Villers-Bocage. The photos are grouped together in relation with the time and place each vehicle was knocked out. An overview of the battle can be found here.
Before the Battle
Before the Battle
|A Tiger crew of the 2nd Company, schwere-SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101, |
performing some maintenance, after they had camouflaged their tank.
|2. As Wittmann, with his Tiger, advanced towards the town, he destroyed a number of M5 half-tracks, belonging to “A” Company of the 1st Rifle Brigade.|
|3. After “A” Company’s half-tracks there was an anti-tank section with four Loyd Carriers and two 6pdr guns.|
|4. Another view of the destroyed Loyd Carriers.|
|6. Another knocked out Cromwell of the RHQ Troop. The tank belonged to the Regimental Sergeant-Major Gerald Holloway.|
|8. The Sherman in its role as an OP tank was
unarmed and carried a wooden gun. |
In this close up the wooden gun can be seen lying shattered in front of the Sherman.
The Situation at Point 213
|12. Two Cromwells of “A” Squadron, at the southern edge of Point 213. “A” Squadron tanks were engaged by the rest of Wittmann’s Tigers.|
|13. “A” Squadron Cromwells at Point 213. In the photograph German soldiers, after the battle, collect anything useful from the knocked-out tanks.|
|14. Another knocked-out Cromwell at Point 213.|
|15. A Sherman Firefly of “A” Squadron being inspected by German soldiers.|
|16. Another view of “A” Squadron tanks at Point 213. The Germans tried to bring them in serviceable condition.|
|17. Another pair of “A” Squadron Cromwells.|
|18. An OP Cromwell, belonging to Captain Roy
It was knocked out while en route to Point 213.
Villers-Bocage, the Second Attack
|20. Another Tiger of 1st Company was knocked out further down the road.|
|21. A close up of the same Tiger.|
|22. A Tiger knocked out by the 1/7th Queens (Infantry Battalion).|
|23. A PzKpfw IV knocked out next to Pat Dyas’ Cromwell. The number in the turret of the German tank indicates that it was the fourth tank of the 3rd Platoon, of the 6th Company.|
After the Battle
24. Tiger 211 towing away Tiger 231. Tiger 211 was the 1st Platoon’s commander tank. The officer seated on the right in overcoat is Untersturmführer Georg Hantusch, while standing on the left is Sturmmann Erlander.
Bernage, George. The Panzers and the Battle of Normandy. Bayeux: Heimdal, 2000.
Forty, George. Battle Zone Normandy - Villers Bocage. Gloucestershire: Sutton, 2004.
Taylor, Daniel. Villers Bocage through the Lens of the German War Photographer. London: After the Battle, 1999.
1. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-10/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
2. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-23/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
3. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-11A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
4. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0267-21A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
5. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-20A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
6. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-20/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
7. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0267-28A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
8. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0276-35A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
9. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0276-25A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
10. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-18A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
11. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-12A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
12. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-25A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
13. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-04A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
14. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-37A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
15. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-03A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
16. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-02/Grimm/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
17. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-26A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
18. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0269-07/Grimm/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
19. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-08A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
20. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-12A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
21. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-14A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
22. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-494-3376-05A/Zwirner/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons
23. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0273-01A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons24. Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-738-0275-10A/Grimm, Arthur/CC-BY-SA-3.0-de, via Wikimedia Commons