July 29, 2014

SU-100

SU-100
SU-100 at Arsenal Park Transilvania in Romania.

The SU-100 was a self-propelled antitank gun created to deal with the heavier German panzers. The vehicle was based on the T-34 chassis and the 100mm gun on the B-34 naval A/A gun. The first prototype trials took place in March 1944 and the vehicle entered production in September 1944 at Uralmashzavod. Production lasted until late 1945 and the Soviet Army kept it in service until 1957.


SPECIFICATIONS
Weight:
31,600 kg (69,665 lb)
Length:
9.45 m (31 ft)
Height:
2.24 m (7 ft 4 in)
Armor:
20-75 mm (0.79-3.0 in)
Engine:
V-2-34M V12 520 HP
Fuel
400 litres (88 gallons)
Max Speed:
50 km/h (31 mph)
Range:
310 km (193 miles)
Crew:
4
Armament:
Main gun: 100 mm D-10S
Ammunition:
Main gun: 33 rounds (18 AP, 15 HE)
Muzzle Velocity:
1,000 m/sec (3,281 ft/sec) AP round

920 m/sec (3,018 ft/sec) HE round

The D-10S gun could penetrate 125 mm (4.93 in) of armor at 2,000 m (6,561 ft). This meant that at ranges up to 1,000 m no German panzers could withstand the SU-100. The gun barrel had an impressive 5.97 m length. The gun could be elevated in an arc between -2ο to +17ο and could be traversed horizontally 16ο.

The SU-100s first went into action in January 1945. Each SU-100 Heavy Self-Propelled Regiment was equipped with 20 SP guns and it was composed as follows:

SU-100 Regiment organization


SU-100


Bibliography
Chant, Chris. Artillery of World War II. Kent: Grange Books, 2001.
Hogg, Ian V. Allied Armour of World War Two. Ramsbury: Crowood, 2000.
Sutherland, Jonathan. World War II Tanks and AFVs. Shrewsbury: Airlife, 2002.


Photo attribution
Arsenal Park, CC-BY-SA-3.0, via Wikimedia Commons



Related Posts